Search This Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014

Good-Bye, Mickey, We'll Miss You!

Actor Mickey Rooney died on Sunday at 93. What a long life!

I loved him in National Velvet and years later in The Black Stallion. He was a staple of my childhood and I watched many of his old movies on the 5 0'Clock Show in Philadelphia when I was in high school. It makes me smile just to think of his brash, boyish, enthusiastic performances in every movie he ever made. I think I'll have to schedule a Mickey Rooney marathon after Lent.

But the best news about Mickey was his conversion. After a much-troubled life that included many marriages, alcoholism, a gambling addiction, and a bad attitude he described as "cocky" and "selfish" he chose Jesus as his Savior. And a quote going around Facebook is this: "All the muddy waters of my life cleared up when I gave myself to Christ." Can anyone find the source of the quote? I haven't but I'm still looking. Please pray for the repose of the soul of Mickey Rooney today. He made good and decent films that uplifted people and showed family, friendship, and love as wholesome. Not such a bad history, especially compared to today's depravity. Thanks, Mickey, rest in peace!



Obituary from the The Telegraph

Obituary from the Washington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment